Sunday, February 09, 2003

Movies:

My boss lent me his DVD of Y Tu Mama Tambien last week. The movie is very beautiful and is also a very good answer to the question: What would you do if you only had a month to live? And, as you may have heard, it has some very hot sex. Actually, it's mainly pretty terrible sex, but somehow so moving in it's clumsiness and teenage awfulness. But what's even better is the sense of the inevitability of the world slipping by while the characters chase their own dramas along the road. It's a good metaphor.

A couple of days after we watched that, we went to see Chicago. Wow. I mean, it didn't have anything going for it beyond it's exquisite wittiness and the cuteness of it's cast, and oh yeah, the incredibly choreographed musical numbers, but that is most definitely enough good stuff for one movie. And now I know why Richard Gere is considered hot. Damn.

And then, last night I saw About Schmidt. You know all those people who say, oh yeah, but Jack never really makes you forget that it's him? Well, they are idiots. There are whole stretches of this movie that are nothing but Jack Nicholson completely losing himself in this tragic repressed confused old man. I mean, there was one scene where he got up to answer a door, and just that minute and a half was one of the most amazing performances I have ever seen. Academy Award, please. And I cried at the end. Big fat wet tears.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home